Monday, October 8, 2007

kids in china






china definitely feels like a nation with a billion people. being alone anywhere seems impossible. most of the population is actually really young, i'd say most people are under 45 and a whole lot of them are under 30. there are also more children and baby boys specifically than i think i've seen almost anywhere else in the world. the chinese aren't overly affectionate with their kids, no real kissing or hugging even though they are clearly enamored and feel joy as they play with them. babies here are also kinda dry and never smile which i find really odd and unsettling. here's a post with some kid pictures i've taken these last few months here.

5 comments:

about us said...

that last picture of the boy climbing up the grassy hill is so up my alley!

e-mnail you soon~...gotta run to the airport!

harumi said...

I like the picture with a girl? on the hill. the grass has lots of wired wave lines and so ready to be painted.

I thought Chinese people are more affectionate than Japanese. I thought I've seen then hagging more than Japanese people do. Is that means Japanese are really cold people...?? and we sure are not affectionate like latinos.

Arielísimo said...

i guesss i'm just so used to the latino way of hugs and kisses all the time that anything less seems strange to me. i've gathered that asians in general express emotion outwardly significantly less than westerners, this shows even in their babies who cry much more quietly and smile a lot more subtlety and elusively than any other babies i've ever come across.
children are happy here never the less, they play and run around and yell like any other kids so i guess that's all that really matters.

harumi said...

I think it's great to compare to your own culture and new culture that you are experiencing.
I did same thing when I first came here. and because of that I learned and love my own culture more.

Silvia Elena said...

A Chinese friend once told me that he thinks westerners' expressions are too exaggerated. He thought that if you roll your eyes or make some of the other over-obvious expressions us westerners are keen on making, you're not being subtle enough. He feels that one should not be so obvious with their expressions so that the subtleties have more weight.
It's a nice explanation but I love kissing children too much, screaming over a lost pencil and rolling my eyes.