Sunday, November 9, 2008

recently...

Halloween was fun. We went out to a party and a foreigner bar all dressed up. Our Friend Ruby (above) from Xi'an joined Ross and Silvia in a "dead 80's" theme



I went dressed as a XinJiang chef. This Muslim minority group from far out in the west of China are a fairly common sight all over Beijing. They have restaurants all over the city where they sell their closer to Turkish than Chinese style dishes. They also sell barbecued meat on a stick called 串 (pron. CHwar in Beijing accent Mandarin). The Chinese character represents two peices of meat skewered on a stick. I made my own 串 out sponges, I think they made my costume a success.
a memory of warmer days... just a few weeks ago it was easy to go out in a T-shirt. These last few weeks have been significantly cooler, and this weekend it's been down in the 50's midday and the 30's at night :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did they understand Halloween over there? Did you do anything for Halloween with the kids? These pictures are priceless. Once, Ralph dressed up as a "churro" maker/vendor.
Love,
Maida

Arielísimo said...

We got a few stares from people with obviously no idea what Halloween festivities call for.
I taught a very quick Halloween lesson with my kids, but explaining Western holidays to the kids is sometimes like teaching a couch to sing.